Sunday 24 October 2010

The Hidden Beauty of Plankton: Incredible Microscopic Sea Creatures Caught on Camera - Daily Mail


photo credit Dr. Kirby & BNPS.co.uk


In my absence from the blogosphere, something wonderful was posted on the normally trashy (but still entertaining) Daily Mail. Don't get me wrong - I love me some Daily Mail, and I've posted articles from there onto here before - but really...It's posted alongside "Natalie Portman Falls Out with Daddy over Naked Scenes" and the latest Russell Brand/Katy Perry nonsense. Not really your source for top scientific news...but still - LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE!!!

Really, it's fascinating. I love algae. Yeah, I'm one of those weird ones who enjoys watching pond scum bloom (well, ocean scum really). I held a job where I had to grow algae, and I spent a lot of time admiring the pretty colors. But this is more than just algae; we've got some little beasties too!

These amazing images are of microscopic plankton photographed by Dr. Richard Kirby for his new coffee-table book Ocean Drifters; A Secret World Beneath the Waves.

"Dr Kirby says the importance of plankton is not widely understood and he hopes his book will spread their appeal."


Take a look at these images - they are truly beautiful and give us a peek at the microscopic world in the waves.

Full article here (Daily Mail)

No comments:

Post a Comment