Wednesday 8 September 2010

Killer Whale Dies at SeaWorld in San Diego; Orca Shows Canceled - LA Now

More bad news for SeaWorld...maybe it's time to take a serious look at what you're doing...?

Twelve-year-old male Sumar died of unknown causes yesterday. Six whales remain at the park.

"The male orca began acting lethargic on Monday and was given antibiotics by park veterinarians. But his condition worsened and he died at about 1:45 p.m. A necropsy is planned."

But fear not, 'cuz the shows will resume today! No sympathy, these people...Just money money money. Disgusting.

Full article here (LA Now)

2 comments:

  1. I'm from Perth in Western Australia and last year we had a pod of Orcas swim down our coastline, which as I'm sure you're aware is incredibly rare (although not unheard of)

    Between August and October we have hundreds of whale watching tours going out to try observe the humpbacks and southern wright whales migrate to (or from) Antarctica. Last year a "lucky" group of tourists watched as the pod of Orcas attacked a pod of humpbacks.

    Sadly, the juvenile humpback that got the brunt of the attack later beached itself and died.

    Despite the sad outcome it was a truly amazing event and one I wished I had witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did hear about that, actually. It's too bad it was seen on a whale watching boat, which are typically geared towards families, but these things do happen...
    I'm not so sure I would have liked to see it myself, since I'm kinda on team humpback, but I'm sure it was a once in a lifetime experience!

    ReplyDelete